SAMLESBURY LOWER HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074094

Date first listed: 11-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: SAMLESBURY LOWER HALL, POTTER LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SAMLESBURY LOWER HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074094 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 17:43:44.

Location

Statutory Address: SAMLESBURY LOWER HALL, POTTER LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble (District Authority)

Parish: Samlesbury

National Grid Reference: SD 59612 31522

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 53SE SAMLESBURY POTTER LANE

1/95 Samlesbury Lower Hall 11.11.1966 (Formerly listed as Lower Hall (now used - II as loose boxes for new houses of 1878))

House, c.1625, now ruined, only the front wall remaining. Red sandstone with yellow and white stone dressings. Original plan not known, but 9 bays in length. Two storeys (1½ remaining) with central 3-storey gabled porch of rusticated ashlar, hollow-chamfered doorway, window openings tall at 1st floor and square above. Left and right sides differ: left side of squared sandstone coursed and watershot, has 4 large double- chamfered cross windows irregularly spaced and linked at transom and head levels by bands of yellow stone. Right side of coursed and squared sandstone has continuous dripstone at windowhead level, and 5 window openings, the inner 2 deeper and blocked, the others being chamfered cross windows. There are 2 similar windows in the right return wall; and vestiges of 9 first floor windows. History: built c.1625 by Thomas Walmsley of Dunkenhalgh to replace original Lower Hall, following his purchase of moiety of manor of Samlesbury from Southworth family (R. Eaton History of Samlesbury, p.57).

Listing NGR: SD5961231522

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358000

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Eaton, R, History of Samlesbury, (1936), 57

End of official listing