ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN SOUTHWORTH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074095

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN SOUTHWORTH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, PRESTON NEW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN SOUTHWORTH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074095 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 14:09:24.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF SAINT JOHN SOUTHWORTH AND ATTACHED PRESBYTERY, PRESTON NEW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble (District Authority)

Parish: Samlesbury

National Grid Reference: SD 59353 30319

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 53SE SAMLESBURY off PRESTON NEW ROAD

1/97 Roman Catholic Church of - Saint John Southworth and attached presbytery

- II

Chapel with presbytery under one roof, dated 1818. Rubble, stone quoins and dressings, slate roof hipped at west end which is presbytery. Chapel of rectangular plan; entrance at east end in round-headed doorway with stone jambs, a stone tablet above it lettered:- HOLINESS BESEEMETH THY HOUSE O LORD AT ALL TIMES. PS. 92 1818

Stone band, from which rise 4 windows in each side (and 2 in the east gable, which are now blocked), all stilted lunettes with radiating glazing bars. Presbytery of 2 storeys and 3 bays, symmetrical, facade of scored stucco, moulded stone doorcase with semi-circular fan light (a modern glazed porch attached); all windows sashed with glazing bars. Hipped roof with chimney on the hip, another on the ridge behind, and a belfry on the apex. Interior of chapel: a simple shell with flat ceiling; east gallery on 2 iron columns; a rear wall behind altar has a large framing recess with wide depressed arch flanked by Ionic columns bearing a dentilled cornice and frieze lettered "ECCE PANIS ANGELORUM", altar surrounded by curved communion rail with stick balusters.

Listing NGR: SD5935330319

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358002

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing