SOUTH RIBBLE SQUASH CLUB AND PARISH ROOMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1074103
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1984
Statutory Address:
SOUTH RIBBLE SQUASH CLUB AND PARISH ROOMS, CHURCH BROW

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH RIBBLE SQUASH CLUB AND PARISH ROOMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074103.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:24:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH RIBBLE SQUASH CLUB AND PARISH ROOMS, CHURCH BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
South Ribble (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 56094 28115

Details

SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH BROW --

5/116 South Ribble Squash Club and Parish Rooms -

GV II

School, 1835, subsequently enlarged, now substantially altered internally and extended to rear as squash club. Tooled pink sandstone blocks, slate roof with gable chimney composed of 4 octagonal flues. Rectangular range of 6 bays with later extensions to front of first 4 bays, and at right end. Two storeys in Perpendicular style: moulded plinth, buttresses, bands on 2 levels, hollow moulded eaves cornice, gable copings, all windows double-chamfered stone mullioned with 2 cinquefoil lights and hollow spandrels. In centre is a 2-storey gabled porch 2 bays wide which has 2 doorways linked by a single hoodmould, with arches in the heads and glazed spandrels, above these 2 blank shields,at 1st floor level two 2-light windows, with a single-light window in the gable and an octagonal chimney on its apex. Left of the porch and flush with it is an addition parallel with the main range and extending beyond it. At the right end is a 2-bay extension shallower and lower than the main range, with a flat roofed salient in the angle and 2-storey canted bay to the gable. A relatively large and elaborate National School, close to Church of St. Leonard (q.v.) (F. Coupe Walton le Dale 1954).

Listing NGR: SD5609428115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358021
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Coupe, F, Walton le Dale, (1954)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/00114/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].