CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074104

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1984

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074104 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 17:07:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: South Ribble (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 56543 25012

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 52NE WALTON LE DALE CHURCH ROAD

5/118 Church of St. Saviour - GV II

Church, 1817 by Edmund Sharpe,with transepts and chancel 1886 by T.H. Myres. Stone, slate roof with red ridge tiles. Tower with spire; nave with transepts; apsidal chancel. Romanesque style: lesenes, Lombard frieze, round-headed lancets. Tower of 3 elements (2-stage square base, 2-stage octagonal drum, octagonal spire) with circular window at ground floor and 3 lancets above, a band and frieze to the drum which has a recessed belfry louvre in each face, and a splayed base to the spire. Nave now of 5 bays, the 1st on the west side with a segmental headed door and all others with round-headed lancets; rainwater heads dated 1817. Transepts have bands on 2 levels, the upper rising as a hoodmould to the heads of two pairs of round headed windows, above which is a large wheel window; west transept has a doorway in the re-entrant, east transept has a squire's door in Norman style; rainwater heads dated 1886. Semi- circular apse with moulded bands, the upper rising as a hoodmould to 9 round headed windows; apse wall incorporates 3 foundation stones laid by Mrs. Townley Parker, the Right Hon. Viscount Cranbourne, and Mrs. G.B. Dewhurst of Oughtrington Park, all dated 17 July, 1886. Interior: at south end is a glazed screen and a large gallery supported by 2 iron columns with foliated surfaces, the front panelled, with Royal Arms in centre; unusual double transept arches rising from a central shafted column with foliated capital, the outer ends dying at a high level; ribbed chancel ceiling; east transept has various wall tablets to Townley Parker family.

Listing NGR: SD5654325012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358023

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing