This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BAPTIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BAPTIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1074134

Location

BAPTIST CHURCH, BONDGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: North West Leicestershire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Castle Donington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358085

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE DONINGTON BONDGATE SK 4427-4527 9/38 Baptist Church GV II

Baptist church. Plaque on front gable is inscribed: 'General Baptist Chapel, Erected 1774. Enlarged 1827'. Vestries added to left 1875. Other mid C19 extensions to right, formerly sunday school and minister's house, and hall erected in 1908, are not of special architectural interest. Brick with stone plinth, the front rendered and colourwashed with stone coping to gable. Slate roof. Galleried. Front has 3 bays of C20 wooden windows that resemble appear- ance of former sashes. These windows have painted stone sills, voussoir heads and triple keyblocks. Off-centre double doors with semi-circular fanlight, in rusticated stone surround with moulded open pediment on shaped scroll brackets. At apex of gable is a lozenge-shaped vent with similarly shaped surround. Attached to right, below window, are late C18-early C19 memorial slabs to members of Carr family. Side and rear walls have gallery windows with semi- circular heads, the left side also with later brick vestries. Interior has early C19 gallery around 3 sides, on cast iron columns with acanthus capitals. Panelled balustrade with fluted pilasters and gilded embossed paper ornament. South wall has central organ recess with semi-circular arch on piers. Piers and wall frieze also have embossed paper ornament. In front of recess is altered C19 semi-circular pulpit with arcaded panels, on cylindrical pier with foliated capital. Communion rail and steps to pulpit have cast iron balusters. Early Cl9 seating to gallery, late C19 seating below. Ceiling has wooden ribs and some ornamental plaster panels.

Listing NGR: SK4447627341

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK4447627341

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074134 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 04:09:48.

End of official listing