CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1074194

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA, ELLERBURN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074194 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 09:45:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT HILDA, ELLERBURN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale (District Authority)

Parish: Thornton-le-Dale

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

National Grid Reference: SE 84142 84218

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

THORNTON DALE ELLERBURN ROAD SE 88 SW (north-west side) Ellerburn 9/95 Church of Saint Hilda GV II* Church. C11 nave and chancel; restoration and buttresses added C15; porch and bellcote built 1904 during extensive restorations carried out by Caroe and Passmore. Sandstone rubble, partly on plinth, with irregular quoins, some herringbone-tooled; stone flag roof. West bellcote; 3-bay nave and south porch; chancel and north vestry. The bellcote is supported on 2 piers with chamfered bases and offsets partly obscuring C15 pointed window of 3 trefoil head lights and panel tracery. Square opening in plain surround to west face of bellcote. C20 gabled south porch contains a pointed doorway with corbelled hood-mould. Iron-studded door, later reinforced, probably C15. To east, blocked pointed arch of probable C15 chapel, now containing rebuilt paired lights. Further renewed windows to either side and in north wall which has blocked doorway to centre. Dwarf buttress further to west and diagonal buttress at end. Blocked shallow pointed priest's door to chancel with original lancet to east, and renewed window to left. C15 east window of 3 trefoil-headed lights with panel tracery. Interior: C13 pointed chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders springs from C11 responds with attached shafts with cushion capital. Incised spiral carving to capitals and bases, and zigzag to responds. In nave south wall the blocked pointed archway with restored imposts to former chapel, with portion of earlier window arch above. In north wall the head of a shallow pointed arch of the former north door survives. C11 chamfered altar stone with incised cross to centre. C11 or C12 circular font on 1904 base. Piscina and aumbry in chancel south wall. C18 octagonal pulpit of raised and fielded panels with ogee tester inlaid on underside, and finial. Altar panelling and restored poppyhead pews of same date. Several fragments of pre-Conquest sculpture are incorporated in the nave and chancel south walls and the porch.

Listing NGR: SE8414284218

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 439932

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing