THE THREE SWANS HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1074412

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1952

Statutory Address: THE THREE SWANS HOTEL, 21, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE THREE SWANS HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074412 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 20:27:52.

Location

Statutory Address: THE THREE SWANS HOTEL, 21, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 73261 87356

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 5303 (West Side) No 21 (Three Swans Hotel) SP 7387 1/13 25.7.52. II* GV

2. Formerly 'The Swan' and first mentioned as an inn in 1517. Late C18/early C19 facade to an earlier probably timber framed building (gable with close studding now concealed in building). Stuccoed. Roof not visible. 3 storeys (3rd added in late C18/early C19). 4 windows. 2 flattened bows of 2 storeys each with cornices and reeded mullions flank centre door which has small C19 hood on brackets. Segmental coach arch under south side of facade. Notable wrought iron sign and bracket of excellent design, the centre panel is original, the 2 outer swans were probably added when 'The Swan' became The Three Swans. Long range of painted brick outbuildings at rear. Interior has panelling of circa 1700 in a 1st floor room. Fireplaces and some 6-panelled doors. Christian VII of Denmark lunched here in 1768. The Court Leet was still held here occasionally in the C19. Ref.V.C.H.

Listing NGR: SP7326687355

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 189663

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1907)

End of official listing