CHURCH OF ST WINIFRIDE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074494

Date first listed: 26-May-1981

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WINIFRIDE, BELTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WINIFRIDE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074494 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 05:30:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WINIFRIDE, BELTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood (District Authority)

Parish: Shepshed

National Grid Reference: SK 47810 19789

Details

SK 4719 8/95 26.5.81

BELTON STREET (south side) Church of St Winifride

GV II

Roman Catholic Church, now disused; 1842 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Ambrose Lisle Phillipps, who provided some of the labour and material from the Garendon Estate. Built of granite rubble with Swithland slate roof under the direction of Pugin. Very simple exterior, nave and 2 aisles under one roof. Small lancet windows, tripartite lancet in east gable end. Small gabled south (ritual) porch with side entrance and integral buttress. Later north (ritual) vestry and brick bell cote over west (ritual) gable. Simple, but damaged, interior. Arcades with double chamfered brick arches on octagonal sandstone piers. Remains of inscriptions and murals by Anselm Baher (1834-1885), an heraldic artist and Cisterian monk at Mount St Bernards Abbey, Leicestershire. Inscriptions read: Nave, south, "Whosoever shall pray from this place hear then, O Lord, from heaven and shew mercy. 2 Saml. 2 Paral. 6/21". Nave, north, "I have loved the beauty of thy house, O Lord, and the place where thy glory dwelled. Ps.25:8". Chancel, south, "Hic est panis qui de Coelo descendit". Chancel, north, "Ecce Panis Factus cibus Viatorium". End has angel either side of window and dove descending above. "Sanctus Sanctus Sanctus W. Dominus Deus Sabaoth."

Listing NGR: SK4781019789

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 189466

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing