This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REMAINS OF WALLS TO OLD HALL GROUNDS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF WALLS TO OLD HALL GROUNDS

List entry Number: 1074598

Location

REMAINS OF WALLS TO OLD HALL GROUNDS, STANFORD LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cotes

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189293

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 52 SE COTES STANFORD LANE 1/35 Remains of walls to 1.6.66 old hall grounds

II

Boundary walls of the vanished Cotes Hall, largely C16, ruinous. Large fragments of wall forming a square enclosure c70 yards square. Various materials English bond brick work, limestone and granite rubble, with some ashlar work to internal face. Plinth and chamfering in parts, angled brickwork on gradient in part. Turned to form gateway in middle of NW face, and running down to river, suggesting possible former water gate. Further to NW an additional, smaller enclosure.

Cotes Hall had 26 hearths in hearth tax of 1666, but was destroyed by some time in the C18. Nichols noted in 1800 that "large fragments of the walls still remain.... the entire garden, fenced in with a good stone wall, has been for some time let to gardeners". In 1877 Whites Directory noted traces of the ancient hall, old terraces, a boat house and a fine old barn.

Listing NGR: SK5534720959

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 55347 20959

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 06:52:25.

End of official listing