Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074602

Date first listed: 15-Mar-1984

Statutory Address: THE BRAND, BRAND HILL


Ordnance survey map of THE BRAND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 11:13:49.


Statutory Address: THE BRAND, BRAND HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Charnwood (District Authority)

Parish: Woodhouse

National Grid Reference: SK5359413286


SK 51 SW 3/147



House of 1875, By Alfred Waterhouse for Arthur Ellis. Minor addition of 1891 by M.G. Wigg. Granite and slate rubble stone with stone plinth, cornice and dressings. Stone shouldered coped gables with kneelers and most with finials. Swithland slate twin span roof with ridge tiles and various ridge, valley and end stacks, with lower part rubble stone and upper part ashlar. An irregular composition in Gothic style with 2 and 2½ storeys, 4 gables, of stone mullioned sash windows, hereinafter specified as 2-light etc. Gabled porch centre right with Gothic arch and a 2-light to each side leads to doubled leaved door. 2-light above with small quatrefoil opening over. To left a large 3-light mullion and transom staircase window over a 1 and 2-light. In next left gable a 2-light with canted oriel bay over and 1-light in gable. Further left a door with 1 and 2-lights, half dormer and then dormer above left. On far left gable a 3-light both floors and arrowslit in attic. l-light on end and here 2 gate piers lead to small walled yard where doors and further windows. To right of front porch a 1-light, 2-light and 3-light, with 2-light in gable. On right end a 1-light both floors and a further ground floor 1-light in projection with side projecting stack. Rear or garden front has main range of a gable either side a large 2-light half dormer over large C20 window with Swithland slate canopy. Gable to left has square wooden mullion and transom bay of 4-light with side lights extending upwards by Swithland slate roof to canted bay with Swithland slate roof. These bays added in 1891. Gable to right has stone mullion and transom canted bay with Swithland slate roof and 3-light over. A small quatrefoil opening in attic of both gables. On left end a ground floor 1-light in projection with side projecting stack. On right end a French window with 1-light half dormer above. To right the other range slightly set back with, from left to right, a door with 2-light and 2 1-lights over, a large gable with 3-light, 2-light over and arrowslit in attic, then a 2-light with canopy over, a group of 3 1-lights and group of 2 1-lights with 1-light half dormer and C20 2-light over. Door and 2 1-lights on right end. Inside are contemporary pine staircase, fireplaces, four-panelled doors and simple cornices together with row of internal bells. In a bedroom a pair of massive X beams on stone corbels.

Listing NGR: SK5359413286


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 189203

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing