This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARSONS FAREWELL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARSONS FAREWELL

List entry Number: 1074717

Location

PARSONS FAREWELL, 399, RATBY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Blaby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Kirby Muxloe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Feb-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188966

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KIRBY MUXLOE RATBY LANE SK 50 SW 4/44 No 399 (Parsons Farewell) II Former school and schoolmaster's house, at one time used as vicarage, now house and shop. 1857. by William Butterfield; altered 1929 by George Nott. Ground floor is mostly of brick with bonded stone window jambs; upper storey rendered and whitewashed with half-timbering; tiled roof, half-hipped to left, with orna- mental ridge; battered brick chimneys with pilasters. Former schoolmaster's house of 1½ storeys to left, with main school-room formerly in lower cross wing to right. Irregular battered buttresses to ground floor. Asymmetrically picturesque. Schoolmaster's house is of 2 wide bays with entrance hall between. Narrow barred wooden sashes with shaped heads. Left bay has bind upper storey jettied on brackets, and 3-light window to ground floor. Right bay has 3-light and single light windows to former infants' room on ground floor, 2-light window in large half-hipped semi-dormer, and single light in smaller matching semi- domrer to left. Between bays is a door in gabled half-timbered porch of 1929, and a 2-light wooden casement above, also inserted 1929. Gable of school-room wing projects to right, formerly of one storey, but converted to 2 1929. This gable end is completely half-timbered on brick plinth, with upper storey jettied on shaped brackets. Cusped bargeboards with pierced ornament. C20 leaded case- ments, 5-light to ground floor, 4-light above. Weathercock. Right side has central buttress and retains one original 2-light leaded window. Lean-to lobby, probably of later date, to rear gable. Rear of house has been raised and altered. (The Builder, Vol 15 p.377).

Listing NGR: SK5237804867

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in The Builder, , Vol. 15, (), 377

National Grid Reference: SK 52378 04867

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Feb-2018 at 10:40:11.

End of official listing