This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

5, ST MARTINS EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 5, ST MARTINS EAST

List entry Number: 1074771

Location

5, ST MARTINS EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: City of Leicester

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188799

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



718/3/103 ST MARTINS EAST 05-JAN-50 5

GV II



House, now offices. Adjoins No 3 (qv) and is slightly lower. Early C18. Red brick. Slate roof with gable ends. High plinth. Moulded brick eaves cornice. Brick and stucco band. Three storeys. Three windows, segmental brick arches, sashes with glazing bars, flush casing. Good wood doorcase with fluted pilasters and deeply carved brackets, formed of foliage and cherub's heads, moulded segmental pediment, rectangular fanlight, fielded-panel door. To rear is a wing of mid C19 comprising a flat-roofed lobby link to a high single-storey Conference Room, originally probably a teaching room for a Dancing Academy. This is of brick with buttresses and slate roof with end stack and has 2 4-light windows on north side with further blocked window. INTERIOR of Conference Room has openwork wooden roof, at present partly concealed, consisting of 2 principal-rafter trusses set on moulded corbels with arch braces to collars. Above the present suspended ceiling are 2 butt-purlin collar beam trusses with ogee braces and turned central king posts. Match-boarding to underside of roof. Around the room a dado rail with match-board panelling below. C19 fireplace. HISTORY. During the C19 this house was occupied by 2 teachers of dancing: Charles Smart 1864-70 and Morris Barnett 1870-99 and the mid C19 date of the present Conference Room suggests that it was purpose-built for a Dancing Academy and is thus a very unusual survival. Report on 3/5 St.Martins East by TR Projects, Nov.2001.

Nos 3, 5 and 7 form a group with St Martin's Cathedral Guildhall Lane.





Listing NGR: SK5853604449

Selected Sources

Other
Report on 3/5 St Martins East, (2001)

National Grid Reference: SK 58536 04449

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074771 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 06:10:33.

End of official listing