Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of WITHCOTE CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074845.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:44:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Harborough (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 79577 05793



SK 70 NE OAKHAM ROAD (South East Side)

2/126 Withcote Chapel



Chapel. C15, restored and refurbished inside, c1744. Finely coursed ironstone with limestone dressings and leaded roof. 4 bays, the nave and chancel undifferentiated. Square headed windows each with 3 round headed lights linked by continuous hoodmould. North doorway with 4-centred arched head, roll moulded architrave and square hoodmould, with decoration in the spandrels. Traces of blocked west doorway, and south door similar to north. Buttressed, and with embattled parapet which is continuous across the low pitched east and west gables. Tall angle pinnacles are reminiscent of Kings College Chapel, Cambridge.

Inside, the fittings are largely C18. Wood dado panelling, early C18 wrought iron altar rails, and reredos in Renaissance style: tripartite, the centre piece with fluted Corinthian shafts and the canted side pieces pedimented on Corinthian columns, each containing an identical marble monument. That to north commemorates Geffrey Johnson, d. 1742 and his sister, and the south, Matthew Johnson d. 1723 and Margaret his wife. The monuments are each surmounted by urns and a shield of arms. Plaster modillion eaves cornice.

Stained glass of c153D-40 and attributed to Galeon Hone, the King's glazier who worked at Kings College Chapel. Large standing figures of the prophets and Old Testiment figures to south, apostles to north. In the eastern windows, 3 smaller panels depict saints and the crucifixion in landscape settings. Strong rich colours and fluid design. Some heraldic panels, one containing the personal arms of Jane Seymour (1536-7).

Listing NGR: SK7957705793


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Feb 2006
Reference: IOE01/14041/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Amanda Watson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].