CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1074849

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074849 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 04:57:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Gaulby

National Grid Reference: SK 69491 01065

Details

GAULBY SK 60 SE 5/3 29.12.66 Church of St. Peter

GV II*

Church. C16 chancel, rest 1741. By John Wing the Elder, of Leicester, for William Fortrey. Ashlar and coursed squared stone with stone dressings and leaded roof, with parapet to nave. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages in Gothic form but mainly with classical details. Plinth, clasping buttresses, W round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts and 2-leaved 5-panelled door with panelled semicircle over. Semicircular windows to N and S. Bull's eye windows and clock face on 2nd stage. Over this a running band frieze and cornice band. 4 tall round-arched bell-openings, the key stones being linked to the cornice above. Parapet with cornice rising at the corners and 4 obelisks in the middle and 4 corner pinnacles : fluting, volutes and pagoda-like tops, similar to tulip vases. The nave has buttresses with set-offs and 3 3-light Late Perp. style windows either side. Hood moulds, transoms and cusped lights. Rounded tower arch to nave. 5 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. Double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel with N window and C18 N door. Late Perp. 5-light E window with stained glass of 1844. S window, piscina, and blocked window. 4 bay low-pitch tie beam roof. S porch to nave has flat roof and round-arched doorway with keystone and imposts. 2-leaved 5-panelled door and 2-pane fanlight. Inside are marble baluster font, the upper part of former 2-decker pulpit,restored C18 oak communion rail with turned balusters and wall monument of 1728. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK6949101065

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190659

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

End of official listing