TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MALKIN'S BANK LOCK NUMBER 63

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074927

Date first listed: 05-Jul-1994

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MALKIN'S BANK LOCK NUMBER 63, BETCHTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MALKIN'S BANK LOCK NUMBER 63
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074927 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 11:40:43.

Location

Statutory Address: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL MALKIN'S BANK LOCK NUMBER 63, BETCHTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Betchton

National Grid Reference: SJ 76294 59164

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BETCHTON TRENT AND MERSEY SJ 75 NE CANAL

1923- /6/10009 Malkin's Bank Lock No. 63 off Betchton Road

GV II

Pair of narrow locks. Towpath side lock circa 1772-75 by James Brindley/ Hugh Henshall with off-side lock added circa early 1830's, probably by Thomas Telford; both with replacement of materials and movable parts. Both have brick chambers with stone coping and quoins. Central island with cutwater. Late C20 gates; each lock has a single wooden top gate and double wooden bottom gates. Both locks have steps to lower level on towpath side. Wooden plank split footbridge on brackets across each tail. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. Listed for group value with adjacent bridge. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Listing NGR: SJ7629459164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 351209

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Lindsay, J, The Trent and Mersey Canal, (1979)
Hadfield, C, 'The Canals of the British Isles' in The Canals of the East Midlands, (1966)

End of official listing