MALTINGS AND KILN NUMBER 1, MISTLEY QUAY HANDLING AND FORWARDING COMPANY LIMITED

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1074932

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1987

Statutory Address: MALTINGS AND KILN NUMBER 1, MISTLEY QUAY HANDLING AND FORWARDING COMPANY LIMITED, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: MALTINGS AND KILN NUMBER 1, MISTLEY QUAY HANDLING AND FORWARDING COMPANY LIMITED, MISTLEY QUAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of MALTINGS AND KILN NUMBER 1, MISTLEY QUAY HANDLING AND FORWARDING COMPANY LIMITED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074932 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 23:29:46.

Location

Statutory Address: MALTINGS AND KILN NUMBER 1, MISTLEY QUAY HANDLING AND FORWARDING COMPANY LIMITED, HIGH STREET

Statutory Address: MALTINGS AND KILN NUMBER 1, MISTLEY QUAY HANDLING AND FORWARDING COMPANY LIMITED, MISTLEY QUAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Tendring (District Authority)

Parish: Mistley

National Grid Reference: TM 11868 31785

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 1131 10/249

MISTLEY MISTLEY QUAY Maltings and Kiln No.1.Mistley Quay Handling and Forwarding Company Limited

GII Maltings.Circa 1896,now empty apart from a small area on fifth floor used as offices for Mistley Quay Handling Company.For Free,Rodwell and Company Ltd.Iron work by J.R.M. Fitch,Lawford Ironworks.Red brick with gault dressings.Double range,grey slate roofs.Kiln to east with tall pyramidal roof.An imposing building presenting eight storeys to the quayside and five storeys to High Street.The Kiln of five storeys with roof to full height of the Maltings.The lower storeys act as a buttress to the High Street and are twety-five feet wide,the five upper storeys fifty-six feet wide.Kiln of three bays,Maltings of.Seventeen bays with pilasters between,four dentilled and moulded bands and parapet band;gable ends similar of two:two bays with central pilasters extending to gable apices,cornices to apices.Originally with segmental headed louvred three light ventilator openings to each bay and storey,four C20 windows have been inserted to fifth storey of High Street and Mistley Quay faces,also some loading doors.Three.bays break forward to both faces with panelled parapet,the High Street bays with semi-circular arches to top floor.To the east of these three bays is a cast iron hoist loft supported by iron columns,with projecting shaft and pully wheel.Interior.A small area has been enclosed since 1967 as an office unit,and there is some storage in ground floor rooms.Most of the Maltings red quarry tiled floors remain.Cast iron support pillars with moulded capitals to each floor.Cast iron mesh floor to kiln,cast iron turner.Cast iron kiln doors.Cast iron self emptying steeping tanks.Cast iron scales labelled W & Avery,Birmingham.Driving shaft with wheels and chute to Kiln.During the 1850's there were many partnerships in the Mistley Malting industry,during 1983 Robert Free,William Hunter Rodwell,Robert E. Free and E.N. Heneage consolidated their interests to Free,Rodwell and Company Ltd.,with four maltings.No. 1 was reconstructed in 1896,No. 5 was built the following year but was burnt to the ground 1898,even so,the Company had built No.6 before the end of the century and No.7 by 1904.Robert Free published a pamphlet 1888 announcing "the installation of self-emptying steeping cisterns,wedgewire kilns with Blackman's air propellor,malt storage for a season's making and mechanical conveyors for the raw barley and finished malt." He also stressed the need for large storage capacity.He foresaw the development of farming which was to bring the whole of the.harvest onto the market during the months of September-November each year.Robert Free's advanced technological ideas were executed in cast iron by J.R.M.Fitch,formerly Bendall of Lawford Ironworks,Manningtree,now demolished.He died 1902 and his son in 1928,their successor Mr.I.Garwood,later introduced new features including power shovels to load and unload kilns and turners.About 1961 Dr.Sandegrin of Sweden developed gibroic acid which speeded up the steeping process to five and now three days and this company are,believed to be the first to use this method commercially.Of the seven maltings only this, Nos. 7,3 and 4 in School Road q.v.10/256 and 257 and No.2 in High Street now remain,plus a kiln of Nos.5 and 6 on Baltic Wharf,Mistley Quay:Maltings No. 2 High Street,now owned by Messrs.Edme and Co.had its kiln destroyed by fire a few years ago but is used to manufacture cereal products.Nos.7,3 and 4 are at present owned by Allbrew Maltsters Ltd and are empty q.v.10/256 and 257.The horizontal steam engine No.65019 by Marshall,Gainsborough has been removed from Messrs.Edme's works in High Street to The Industrial Steam Museum,Forncett St. Mary,Norfolk.Malting at Mistley pamphlet produced by Messrs Allbrew Maltsters Ltd during the 1960's.Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia John Booker,1980 Batsford.Information from Mr.I. Garwood Mistley Quay.Handling Co. Ltd.,Mr.A. Coleman,Allbrew Maltsters Ltd.,and Mr. Lansdown,Messrs.Edme Maltings Ltd.

Listing NGR: TM1186831785

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 438487

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malting at Mistley, (1960-1969)
Alderton, , Booker, , The Batsford Guide to the Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia, (1980)

End of official listing