CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1074997
Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1074997 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 03:06:09.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GUTHLAC, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: Melton (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SK 77290 30950
STATHERN CHURCH LANE
SK 7730 Church of St Guthlac
GV II* Church. Late C13 and C17, with C17 alterations and repairs. Restored 1867- 8 by R W Johnson. Coursed squared ironstone and coursed ironstone rubble, with limestone dressings, lead roofs, except for Swithland slate roofs of N aisle and porch. Chancel, former N chancel chapel, aisled nave, N & S porches, W tower 2-bay chancel has 4-light E window with cusped heads to lights and 4-centred head, and 2-light windows to S with ogee-arched heads to lights and basket-arched heads, all with hood moulds, that to E window with label stops Small chamfered priest's door to S with Tudor-arched head. Chapel has 2-light E window, probably C17, with chamfered mullion and straight head, and 3-light window to N with round trefoil-headed lights and 4-centred heads, both with hood moulds. Blocked door to NW. Nave has 3- window clerestory of 2-light windows with Ogee-arched heads to lights, straight heads and hollow-chamfered surrounds. N aisle has 3-light window to NE with round trefoil-headed lights and 4-centred head, and lancet windows to NW and W end, all except last with hood moulds. Chamfered N doorway with imposts which have small nailhead Ornament. N porch has weathered doorway with double-chamfered head, continuous outermost, polygonal responds innermost and hood mould. S porch has similar doorway S aisle has 3-light E window with Perpendicular tracery which has fleur-de- lys ornament to small transom above central light, 4-centred head and hood mould. 3-light window to SE with pointed trefoil-headed lights and 4- centred head, 3-light window to SW with cinquefoil-headed outer lights, ogee-arched head to central light and basket-arched head and lancet window to W end, all with hood moulds, that to SW window with label stops. Fine late C13 S door has roll-moulding with fillet innermost, large dog-tooth ornament outermost, imposts and more dog-tooth ornament to hood mould. 3- stage tower has 1-light window to bottom stage W with cinquefoiled head and hood mould. 1-light window to middle-stage S with straight head, chamfered surround and transom. Cast-iron clock faces to N & S and 2-light bell- chamber openings with ogee-arched heads to lights and hood moulds. Off-set clasping buttresses and battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles to angles and 2 gargoyles to each side. Body of church has stone-coped gables with kneelers, those to S aisle carved with animal or demon heads. Scratch dial to one of quoins of SE angle of S aisle. Interior: Chancel has cusped ogee-arched piscina. Tall double hollow- chamfered arch to N chancel chapel, continuous outermost, inner chamfer on polygonal responds with moulded capitals. Former chapel, now vestry, has round trefoil-headed piscina immediately to right of blocked corner fireplace. Graffiti, mostly C18, to base of windows. Between chapel and N aisle double wave-moulded arch with double-chamfered responds and capitals decorated with fleurons and heads. Image bracket to right of arch on aisle side at high level decorated with fleurons. Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded capitals and double-chamfered arches. Perpendicular-style roof with arch braces to ties and wall posts on carved stone head corbels. S aisle has aumbry and remains of piscina. Tower arch has double-chamfered responds with broad fillets innermost, moulded capitals and triple-chamfered arch. Chamfered ogee-arched head to doorway in tower leading to internal stair turret. Octagonal font with 2- light blank tracery patterns to bowl including Perpendicular motifs. Blackened charity or commandment board in tower with moulded surround. Monuments: veined white and black marble wall monument in chancel with Latin inscription to Rev. Richard Cooke d. 1704 with broken segmental pediment, framing cartouche of arms. Slate wall monument with gilded incised ornament and lettering to Rev. Thos Parke d. 1839, signed Johnson, Melton. N chancel chapel formerly served as village school. Poet George Crabbe was curate here 1785-89. Three of his children were baptized here, which is where he began to write his poetry. Buildings of England Leicester 1984, 389-390.
Listing NGR: SK7729130948
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 190312
Legacy System: LBS
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 389-390
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing