This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1075004



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Hoby with Rotherby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190223

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SK 6617-6717 Church of All Saints (formerly 19/287 Listed Under the Parish of Grimston) 1.1.68


Church. C13 and C14. Clerestory added C15. Repaired 1744. Chancel rebuilt and church restored by Ewan Christian 1863-4. Ironstone ashlar with limestone dressings, Swithland slate roof to chancel, lead roofs to nave and aisles. Chancel, vestry, aisled nave and W tower. l-bay chancel has 3-light E window with cusped intersecting tracery and 3-light window to S which has shafts to jambs and mullions with moulded and foliage capitals, and roll- moulded intersecting tracery; both have hood moulds and label stops. C19 vestry to N has cued 1-light E window and Caenwmon-ardled door. Nave has 4-window clerestory of 3-light windows with cinquefoil-headed lights and chamfered round arch or slightly pointed surrounds of grey sandstone. Rainwater head to middle S side inscribed JOHN ALSAP/ROBERT HENTON/CHURCH WARDENS/1744 and plain stone-coped parapets. N aisle has 3-light windows to E and W ends with cusped heads to lights and tracery to head of 3 cusped pointed arches (renewed) and 2-light windows to N with cusped Y tracery; all have hood moulds and label stops. Renewed hollow-chamfered N door with imposts and hood mould. S aisle has fine set of windows of c1300, all with slender mullions and tracery, and hood moulds with label stops. That to E end has 4 lights with ogee-arched pointed trefoil heads, larger, many-moulded central mullion dividing window in two, each half with quatrefoiled circle above two trefoils to head, and sexfoiled circle to main head. W and SE windows have 3 lights and cusped intersecting tracery. Window to right of S door has multi-foiled reticulated tracery. S door, inch renewed, has 3 orders of shafts, many- moulded head and hood mould with label stops. 3-stage truer has cusped 1- light window to bottom stage W, chamfered door to S, and similar window to middle stage S. 2-light bell-chamber openings with Y tracery and hood moulds. Off-set angle buttresses, plain stone-coped parapet with ball flower ornament to base, and gargoyle to middle of sides, and recessed spire with broaches and 3 tiers of lucarnes, all near top, those at lowest level quatrefoiled. Interior: Chancel has piscina with shafts, blank pointed trefoil head and nailhead ornament to hood mould. Nave has 4-bay arcades with four attached demi-shafts with fillets to central piers, eastern piers with four main round attached and four diagonal shafts of rectangular section, and octagonal western piers, polygonal responds, moulded shafts and double- chamfered arches. S aisle has many-moulded piscina with cusped head, sedile and archway with continuous double sunk quadrant mouldings, and much renewed Perpendicular tie-beam roof with foliage and faces to bosses. Font: Octagonal on broach-stopped octagonal stem. Royal Arms of George III; oil on canvas. Set of C15 benches in aisles with poppyhead ends. Perpendicular-style rood screen forming part of a complete scheme of decoration of chancel carried out from c1914-1920 as a memorial to Beresford family. Screen has painted figurative decoration to base and to E side of cove in relief. Decorative scheme includes tile floors of chancel, choir seating, painted decoration and angels to roof above sanctuary, painted frieze and small Commandment and Lords Prayer boards flanking High Altar. Stain-glass E and S chancel windows of 1914 and 1916 form part of same Scheme. Another stain-glass window by same hand to NE aisle window of 1917. Monuments: Brass of c1480 with lower half of a knight in armour and indent for his wife. Veined white marble wall monument to Sarah Anne Standley d.1792. Successive members of the Beresford family were rectors and patrons of the living for almost a century from mid C19. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p178-9.

Listing NGR: SK6691617348

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 178-9

National Grid Reference: SK 66916 17348


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075004 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 12:33:04.

End of official listing