Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075018.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2021 at 18:55:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Melton (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 76297 24129


SCALFORD CHURCH STREET (North side) SK 76 24 -7724 Church of St Egelwin the 24/373 Martyr. 1.1.68


Parish church. C13 and C15. Tower rebuilt 1639; Chancel rebuilt 1845. Restored 1858 by Millican and Smith. Chancel, S chancel chapel/organ chamber, aisled nave, S porch and W tower. Coursed ironstone rubble and ashlar, with limestone dressings, lead roof, except for Welsh slate roof to chancel. 2-bay chancel of ashlar has 4-light Perpendicular-style E window and 2.-light windows N and S with trefoil- headed lights all with hood moulds. Chancel has datestone of 1845 above E window, offset angle buttresses and offset buttresses between S windows and stone-coped E gable with kneelers and stone cross to apex. Former chancel chapel, now organ chamber, continues N aisle and has 3-light E window with intersecting tracery and 2- light window to N with 4-centred head and transom, both with hood moulds. Nave has 5-window clerestory of 3-light windows with 4-centred heads, Perpendicular tracery and hood moulds, and battlemented parapet with crocketed pinnacles to E angles. N aisle has 3-light window to NE with intersecting tracery, a 3-light window to middle of N wall with pointed trefoil-headed side lights flanking lancet-shaped central light, a 2-light window to NW with quatrefoil to head and 1-light W window with C19 Decorated-style tracery. S aisle has battlemented parapet. 3-light E and W windows with intersecting tracery and 2-light windows to S, that to SE with quatrefoil in circle to head, the other two with encircled trefoils to heads. S door has continuous hollow chamfer outermost, shafts and roll- moulded arch innermost. Large S porch, formerly 2-storied with parvise and doorway with continuous chamfer outermost, semi-circular responds innermost with moulded capitals and hood mould with label stops. 3 inches above doorway with crocketed nodding ogee canopies and continuous sill with foliage decoration. Porch is flanked by off-set buttresses to outer angles which have niches to upper section with crocketed nodding ogee canopies and pointed trefoils to gablets above. 3-stage tower has moulded W door with basket-arched head and hood mould. 3-light window above has 3 lights, Perpendicular tracery, brattished transom and hood mould. Datestone to S side below middle stage window with coat of arms and date 1639. 2- light windows to middle stage with Y tracery and Ogee-arched hood moulds. 2-light paired bell-chamber openings with brattishing transoms and hood moulds. Offset clasping buttresses, and cusped lozenge frieze to base of battlemented parapet which has gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles to angles. Interior: Triple-chamfered chancel arch, polygonal responds and capitals with stiff-leaf foliage and heads between them. Nave has 5-bay arcades with circular piers with circular abaci, semi-circular responds, double-chamfered arches, capitals with stiff-leaf foliage to N and moulded capitals to S. Former N chancel chapel has trefoil-headed piscina. Two tomb recesses in N aisle with ballflower Ornament, the outermost cut by polygonal respond of arch between aisle and chapel. S aisle has trefoil-headed piscina. Tall double-chamfered tower arch, chamfer continuous outermost polygonal responds innermost. Circular C19 alabaster and marble font with terracotta plaques. Clock mechanism of 1750, mounted in S aisle.

Monuments: Brass of 1520 with kneeling gentleman and indent for his wife. Brass plaque in chancel to Elizabeth Bardsey d.1624. Brass plaque in S aisle with coat of arms to Edward Darker d.1651. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p. 368.9.

Listing NGR: SK7629724129


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 368-9


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/16073/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].