CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075032
Date first listed:
01-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075032.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 11:36:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Grimston
National Grid Reference:
SK 70067 20967

Details

GRIMSTON CHURCH LANE Saxelby SK 72 SW Church of St Peter 5/270 1.1.68 II*

GV Church. C13-C15, restored 1856-7. Ironstone ashlar with ironstone dressings, lead roofs except for Welsh slate roof to chancel. Chancel, nave, S aisle, S porch and W tower 2-bay chancel has 3-light E window with perpendicular tracery, hood mould and label stops of kings head to left, queens head to right. Lancet window to N, similar window to SW with renewed nailhead ornament to hood mould and 2-light window to SE with straight head, ogee-arched heads to lights, hood mould and label stops. Hollow-chamfered and roll-moulded priests door to S with hood mould. Nave has 2-light window to NE with Y tracery, blocked N door with imposts and hood mould and 3- window clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads, ogee-arched heads to lights and plain stone-coped parapets. S aisle has 3-light E window with foiled intersecting tracery, 4-centred head and hood mould, similar window to SE and 3-light W window with Perpendicular tracery, quatrefoil above central light 4-centred head and hood mould. South door has hollow- chamfered S door with trefoiled spandrels, wave-moulded rectangular surround and hood mould. Porch has C19 roll-moulded doorway and small one-light windows E and W with chamfered stone surrounds. Stoup below E window inside porch. 3-stage W tower has 2-light window to bottom stage W with cinquefoil-headed lights and hood mould, 1-light window to middle stage S and 2-light bell-chamber openings with cusped lights, quatrefoil to head and hood moulds. Cusped lozenge frieze to base of battlemented parapet with gargoyles to angles. Recessed crocketed spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes in alternating directions. Tower has off-set clasping buttresses. Off-set buttresses to angles of aisle and diagonal offset buttresses to chancel Tower and aisle have deep limestone ashlar plinth with chamfers to base and top, and moulded string at intermediate level. Plain stone-coped parapets to porch, aisle and chancel. Interior: Chancel arch has polygonal responds, chamfered capitals and double-chamfered arches. Nave has 4-bay S arcade with circular piers, semi-circular responds, circular moulded capitals that to SW pier with nailhead ornament, others with stylised leaves, and double-chamfered arches. Font - Octagonal with quatrefoils to sides, castellated top and attached shafts to base. Pulpit - Late C15/early C16, polygonal with elaborate pierced tracery to top of panels which retain traces of original painted leaf-trail decoration. Monuments: Incised alabaster slab with effigy of knight - Robert Brokesby d.1531. Slate wall monument with shaped top to William Stephens d 1681. apron inscribed Step. Staveley Melton fecit and limestone bracket with winged cherubs head on ball. Slate wall monument with shaped top to William Stevens d.1755 with winged hourglass to apron encircled by serpent biting its tail and flanked by trumpets. Limestone wall plague, pedimented, recording gift of land by Rev. Rebel Kirkby 1779. Buildings of England Leics 1984 p.368.

Listing NGR: SK7006720967

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
190194
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 368

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Feb 2007
Reference: IOE01/16327/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].