This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HARBY CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HARBY CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL

List entry Number: 1075050

Location

HARBY CHURCH OF ENGLAND PRIMARY SCHOOL, SCHOOL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Clawson, Hose and Harby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1979

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190135

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLAWSON, HOSE SCHOOL LANE, AND HARBY Harby SK 7431-7531 Harby Church of England 41/28 Primary School 31.8.79

GV II

School. 1861, extended and altered C20. Coursed squared ironstone, with limestone dressings, slate roof, white brick stacks. T plan, single-storey school and 2-storey former school house, 5-window range. Middle range parallel to street has central 3-light chamfered stone mullion window, flanked by similar 2-light windows. Right cross wing projects slightly and has 3-light chamfered stone mullion and transom window to gable end with hood would and small rectangular ventilation slit to gable above with chamfered stone surround. 2-storey cross wing to left, formerly school house, has attached porch to right side. Front of porch continues gable end wall and has Gothic-arched doorway with wave and hollow chamfers and ogee hood mould with foliage finial immediately below triangular corbelling to base of former bell turret with reliefs of Pelican in her Piety to left side and open book to right side. Base formerly supported timber bell-cote with slate-hung spire. Off-set buttress to right of doorway. Gable end of cross wing has 2-light chamfered stone mullion windows to ground and 1st floors with hood moulds. Chamfered plinth, limestone quoins and stone-coped gables with kneelers and ball finials. Ridge stacks have rectangular bases and diagonally set square flues with brattished tops. Architects for at least some of the C19 work were Bellamy and Hardy. Kelly's Directory for Leics 1932.

Listing NGR: SK7461231175

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kellys Directory' in Leicestershire, (1932)

National Grid Reference: SK 74612 31175

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 06:33:48.

End of official listing