CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1075081

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075081 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Mar-2019 at 04:56:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Melton (District Authority)

Parish: Clawson, Hose and Harby

National Grid Reference: SK 73627 29276

Details

CLAWSON, HOSE AND CHURCH CLOSE, HARBY HOSE SK 72 NW Church of St Michael and 9/30 All Angels 1.1.68

GV II*

Church. C13-C15, repaired C18 and early C19. S arcade rebuilt c.1887. Coursed ironstone rubble and coursed squared ironstone, with limestone dressings, lead roofs. Chancel, aisled nave, N & S porches and W tower. 2- bay chancel has 3-light E window with foiled heads to lights, low 2-centred arched head and hood mould with label stops, 1-light windows to S with pointed heads of red brick, 2-light window to NE with Y tracery and pointed head of former priest's door to NW, now window, rest blocked. Nave has 4- window clerestory of limestone and 3-light windows with 4-centred arched heads and hood moulds. N aisle has 2-light windows either end and to NW with Y tracery and 3-light window to NE with intersecting tracery, all with hood moulds. N doorway has hollow chamfer and sunk quadrant moulding, imposts, hood mould with label stops, and medieval door with long wrought- iron hinges. C18 porch of red brick with round-headed doorway which has limestone imposts and key block. S aisle has 3-light windows with triangular heads and hood moulds. Worn S door has imposts with nailhead ornament. C18 S porch of red brick with round-headed doorway, blocked except for head, with limestone imposts and key block. S aisle has sundial dated 1735. W tower has 2-light W window with ogee-arched heads to lights quatrefoil to head and hood mould. Niche above with nodding ogee head of limestone. 2-light bell-chamber openings with foiled heads to lights, transoms, 2-centred arched heads and hood moulds. Battlemented parapets to truer, nave and aisles, all of limestone. Interior: Nave has 3-bay arcades with octagonal piers, polygonal responds, moulded bases and capitals, and double-chamfered arches. Font: octagonal with panelled stem, shields in quatrefoils to burl and angels with spread wings to angles of underside of burl, Stain-glass NE aisle window by Westlake 1913. Slate wall monument with gilded incised ornament and lettering to Joseph Shilcock dated 1786 signed W Barnes. Similar wall monument to William Shullock dated 1813, signed Swain Clawson. Buildings of England Leicester 1984 p.180

Listing NGR: SK7362729276

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 190111

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 180

End of official listing