TOWER COTTAGE AND ATTACHED WALL TOWER HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075144
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Mar-1991
Statutory Address:
TOWER COTTAGE AND ATTACHED WALL, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
TOWER HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER COTTAGE AND ATTACHED WALL
TOWER HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075144 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 09:10:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWER COTTAGE AND ATTACHED WALL, CHURCH LANE
Statutory Address:
TOWER HOUSE AND ATTACHED WALL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
Melton (District Authority)
Parish:
Ab Kettleby
National Grid Reference:
SK 71089 23163

Details

AB KETTLEBY CHURCH LANE (West Side) WARTNABY SK 72 SW Tower Cottage (or Tower 5/256, 257 House) and attached wall 1.2.74 (The wall was formerly listed 3.8.79 as 'Wall immediately NW of Wartnaby Hall') GV II

Cottage. Dated 1656, probably largely rebuilt mid-late C19 and C2O. Coursed squared ironstone, pantile roof. 2-unit double-depth plan. Central C20 door and C2O casement windows to ground and 1st floors with flat-arched brick heads to grand floor segmental-arched brick heads to 1st floor. Limestone datestone above door. Dentilled brick eaves. Square brick turret rises to right of centre with oculus windows to each side. Attached wall to left and rear wall of cottage of brick with rowd- headed arches separates forecourt fran garden of Wartnaby Hall (not included) and incorporates medieval stonework mostly visible to garden side. Stone work probably removed from Church of St Michael Wartnaby (q.v.) at the time of its drastic restoration of 1867-8. Includes one complete C13 doorway of ironstone with chamfered jambs with attached shafts to angles, imposts, moulded pointed head and hood mould with label stops; semi-circular ironstone capital of a respond with polygonal limestone abacus with nailhead ornament; part of head of C14 window with quatrefoil, hood mould and label stops; possible canopy head and half of circular cross head of limestone, possible gable cross. Back wall of cottage within conservatory has similar respond and 2-light window with cusped Y tracery and hood mould.



Listing NGR: SK7108923163

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
189956
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].