This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 12/06/2018
SK 81 SW
MAIN STREET (west side)
Church of St. John the Baptist
Parish church. C13, C14, C15, and c.1800. Restored by J. T. Micklethwaite, 1889. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone rubble and ashlar, with ashlar dressings. Lead and Swithland slate roofs. Moulded and chamfered plinths, sill band, some coved eaves. Openings mainly have hood moulds and mask stops.
West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Tower, C15, two stages, has clasping buttresses, those to west with masks on the plinth. Two chamfered and moulded string courses and toninuous hood mould. Coved eaves with masks, crenellated parapets with four pinnacles. Setback octagonal spire with finial and weathercock plus two tiers of gabled lucarnes with double lancets. First stage has to west, blocked moulded doorway and above it, C15 double lancet with panel tracery. Second stage has four transomed cusped double lancets. To east, clock.
Clerestory, three bays, has chamfered band and crenellated parapet with south-east corner and gable pinnacles. Rainwater heads to north inscribed 'J B 1804' and to south 'W S 1793'. On each side, three round headed double lancets with moulded pointed openings.
North aisle, two bays, has to north two buttresses. West end has C19 chamfered single lancet. North side has to east, C15 triple lancet with moulded elliptical head. To west, chamfered C13 blocked door. East end has a restored round headed moulded window. Chancel, two bays, has moulded plinth and coped gable with cross. North side has central buttress, two setoffs. To west, C14 double lancet with flowing tracery, and to west again, C13 single lancet low side window. East end has angle buttress to right and single buttress to left, two setoffs. Restored C14 reticulated triple lancet with coved and chamfered reveal. South side has central buttress, two setoffs. To west, C13 foiled single lancet low side window. Above and to east, two restored C14 double lancets with flamboyant tracery.
South aisle, three bays, has two pairs of double gabled angle buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. Chamfered and moulded plinth and sill band. Rainwater head inscribed 'J M 1795'. East end has C14 double lancet with flamboyant tracery and coved reveal. South side has to east of porch, C14 ogee headed triple lancet with intersecting tracery. West end has late C18 untraceried chamfered triple lancet with coved reveal. South porch has two diagonal buttresses and moulded coped gable incorporating restored sundial. C14 double chamfered doorway with octagonal shafts and capitals.
Interior has two stone benches, C19 common rafter roof and re-set C16 chamfered span beam and boss. Early C13 moulded round headed doorway with fillets, double ringed shafts with leaf capitals, and hood mould with fleurons. C17 framed and panelled door with late C18 panelled furniture.
Double chamfered C13 tower arch has octagonal responds and stiff leaf and crocketed capitals, and hood mould. Early C13 north arcade, two bays, has round piers and responds with water holding bases and stiff leaf capitals. Moulded arches with keeled and filleted roll mouldings. Similar, plainer south arcade, mid C13, has responds with nailhead. C19 principal rafter roof with restored mask corbels.
North and south aisles have C19 roofs with arch braces on re-set corbels. North aisle has blocked doorway and stained glass east window 1926. To its right, arched moulded C19 fireplace with crest in roundel. South aisle has to east, foiled moulded piscina with damaged hood mould. Above, remains of C13 wall paintings and window with fragments of C14 stained glass. West end has re-set cross shaft in window sill. Memorial chapel at west end has three bay Classical wooden screen with central double doors and metal bars. Chancel has early C14 double keeled and filleted moulded arch with hood mould and octagonal responds with moulded capitals. Early C20 Perpendicular style traceried oak screen. North side has to east moulded C13 blocked doorway and to its right, small aumbry. East end has Perpendicular style altar, reredos, wall panels and candlesticks, early C20, and stained glass window, 1926. South side has damaged fillet moulded C13 piscina and similar triple sedilia, both with hood moulds. Eastern and low side windows have C15 stained glass fragments. Low pitched C19 roof with cambered tie beams, bosses and arch braces on plain corbels.
Fittings include linenfold panelled oak desks, pulpit, lectern and stalls, 1926. Plain C19 benches. Fluted font on baluster stem,1842. C18 chest with bracket feet. Wardrobe, 1893, assembled from former roof timbers. Memorials include large pedimented Classical marble tablet by W.G. Nicholl, 1829, with brackets carrying cushion and inscribed open book. Re-set slate tablet with painted heraldry to John Turner, 1753. Slate tablet to Selina Frewen, 1784. Corniced marble and slate tablet, 1791. Three mid C19 marble and slate tablets to Frewen-Turner family. Marble and slate tablet, 1879. Painted slate tablets signed 'Burton' 1819 and 1832. Brass, 1866. Green stone cross, 1911.
Listing NGR: SK8102410152