CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075276
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075276 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 01:43:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Badby
National Grid Reference:
SP 55970 58737

Details

BADBY CHURCH HILL SP5558 (North side) 18/15 Church of St, Mary the Virgin 18/01/68 GV II* Church. C14 and C15, tower rebuilt 1709. Restored 1880 by office of E.F. Law. Uncoursed ironstone rubble, ironstone ashlar and coursed squared ironstone with limestone and sandstone dressings. Lead and copper roofs. Chancel, organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. Chancel has east window of 3 lights with cusped intersecting tracery, a 2-light window to north with Y-tracery., 2 similar windows with cusped Y-tracery to south and small hollow-chamfered priest's door. Organ chamber to north-west end of chancel continues north aisle and has 1-light east window and re-used 2-light window to north with cusped Y-tracery. Nave has impressive clerestory with continuous row of 10 2-light Perpendicular windows with straight heads to both north and south; 2 early C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes to north and south. North aisle has 2-light Decorated window to east of blocked double-chamfered north door, a 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery to west. South aisle has 3-light Decorated east window and to south a 4-light window with reticulated tracery to east of porch, a 3-light window with straight head and reticulated tracery to west. South door has chamfered pointed arch. South porch has diagonal buttress, 1-light windows north and south, moulded door with 4-centred head and stone coped gable with kneelers. West tower of 3 stages has 2-light C19 west window, south door with round-headed arch with imposts and keyblock, a circular window with keyblocks and similar windows at higher level. Bell chamber openings with coupled round-arched windows with keyblocks and flat Y-tracery, a battlemented parapet and obelisk pinnacles with ball finials and gilded weathervanes. Chamfered plinth. Angle buttresses as far as belfry stage, limestone pilaster buttresses above. Interior: chancel has 2-seat sedilia with hollow-chamfered arches and hood moulds resting on shafts with capitals and piscina with cusped arch on responds. Early C18 communion rail with turned balusters. Matching communion table in vestry behind organ. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave has 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers and capitals and double-chamfered arches. Capitals of half-columns to east and west ends of north aisle have ball-flower ornament and that to east has inset piscina with nodding ogee head. Aumbry at north-east of north aisle. C19 tower arch. C19 tie beam roof to chancel; nave roof mostly C19 with moulded tie-beams but some timbers and moulded wall plate possible . Aisles have lean-to roofs with ties, some stop-chamfered, others moulded and probably early C16. Other timbers mostly renewed C19. C19 stained glass in chancel and south aisle and west tower. C15 stained glass shields with arms of Abbots of Evesham and Royal arms and inscription formerly in north clerestory, now in north aisle window. Octagonal Jacobean pulpit. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.100; Parish Records; Northants Record Office; Kellys Directory 1903).

Listing NGR: SP5597058737

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360660
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 100
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1903)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10967/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].