CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1075292
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Feb-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075292.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:08:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Preston Capes
National Grid Reference:
SP 57425 54900

Details

PRESTON CAPES SP5754 15/102 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/01/68 Paul GV II* Church. C13-C15, restored 1853. Coursed squared ironstone, lead roofs, chancel tiled. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, west tower. 3-light Perpendicular east window. North side of chancel wall much rebuilt with single low-side lancet window to west and signs of other blocked windows. To south a 3-light mullion window and priest's door to left. Nave has 2 bay clerestory with 2-light mullion windows with C18 leading, plain coped parapet and 2 C18 lead rainwater heads and pipes north and south. North aisle has 3-light Decorated east window with reticulated tracery and hood-mould with label stops, two 2-light Decorated windows either side of north door. North-west and west windows have 2 lights and depressed arch heads. South aisle has 3-light Decorated east window with cusped heads and intersecting tracery, a 3-light arch mullion window with hood-mould, to right of south porch, a 2-light Decorated window to left. South porch has double-chamfered door and holy water stoup. South door within has 4-centred arch head and hood-mould. West and south-west windows of south aisles have similar windows to those in corresponding positions in north aisle. Both aisles extend across sides of west tower. 3 stage west tower with pointed arch and 3-light Perpendicular window above. Belfry stage has 2-light Perpendicular windows. Angle buttresses and battlements. Interior: C17 communion table. East window flanked by Commandment, Creed and Lords prayer boards grouped in pairs vertically and topped by segmental pediments with gilded urns. Chancel roof of 1853. Chancel arch with 3 chamfered mouldings, innermost on polygonal responds. Nave has 3 bay arcades. Westernmost arches cut off by tower. North arcade has octagonal piers, double-chamfered arches, moulded capitals and respond at east end. South arcade has round piers, octagonal abaci and chamfered arches. Nave roof C19, old lean-to roofs to aisles, that of south aisle with stop-chamfered ties. Octagonal Perpendicular font with blank tracery patterns to sides, but built into south-east pier of tower. Some C15 pews. C18 wall monument in chancel. Painted Carolean Royal Arms in west end of south aisle. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.378; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1903).

Listing NGR: SP5742554900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 378
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1903)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06652/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael A. Barrett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].