Former barn and granary to Dawpool Farm

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1075372

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1981

Date of most recent amendment: 19-May-1986

Statutory Address: Dawpool Farm, Station Road, Thurstaston, CH61 0HR

Map

Ordnance survey map of Former barn and granary to Dawpool Farm
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075372 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:15:24.

Location

Statutory Address: Dawpool Farm, Station Road, Thurstaston, CH61 0HR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SJ 24538 84164

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 24/07/2018

SJ 28 SW 4/306 STATION ROAD (North Side) Dawpool Farm Former barn and granary to Dawpool Farm

(Formerly listed as Barn and Granary to Dawpool Farm, to west of other buildings, STATION ROAD)

25.03.81 19.05.86 (Granary)

II

GV Former barn and granary. Dated 'J.H. 1862'. For James Hegan. Coursed, rock-faced red sandstone, graduated Welsh slate roof.

Barn in nine by five bays under twin roof and is linked to shorter granary building by water tank and roofed canopy. West wall of barn has numerous ventilation slots whilst east side is open sided having low plinth wall and tall piers dividing bays. Pointed arch beneath valley at south end.

Granary gable to south has two squared-headed doorways with overlights set between slatted casements with rounded sills and chamfered quoined surrounds; two boarded doors to first floor and window beneath central plaque with 'J.H. 1862' in bold figures; rounded kneelers and ashlar gable copings. The east side has ashlar ventilation loops whilst west side has wide double doors, pointed doorways and windows as gable front. The watertank structure linking barn and granary is supported on corbelled iron beams and brick arches. An octagonal boiler-chimney rises from granary roof.

Interior of barn: integral triangular buttresses; axial passage with flanking side walls supporting cast-iron columns which support tie beam and fishbone trusses. Southern bay forms coach-house and stable with casements, formerly leaded, flanking entrance, pitching holes to left. Stable has two bay stalls with chutes from left.

The barn and granary form the main element of a planned farm complex at Dawpool and are interesting examples of the mid-Victorian phase of agricultural building development.

Listing NGR: SJ2453884164

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 215646

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing