LEVERHULME MEMORIAL AT JUNCTION WITH QUEEN MARY'S DRIVE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075393
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1965
Statutory Address:
LEVERHULME MEMORIAL AT JUNCTION WITH QUEEN MARY'S DRIVE, WINDY BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEVERHULME MEMORIAL AT JUNCTION WITH QUEEN MARY'S DRIVE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075393 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 12:13:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEVERHULME MEMORIAL AT JUNCTION WITH QUEEN MARY'S DRIVE, WINDY BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wirral (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 33540 84776

Details

BEBINGTON WINDY BANK SJ 3384 NE (north side) Port Sunlight 13/274 Leverhulme Memorial at junction with 20.12.65 Queen Mary's Drive

G.V. II

Memorial. 1930 (date on sculpture). Obelisk. By J. Lomax Simpson, sculpture by Sir W. Reid Dick. Clad in polished granite with bronze sculpture. Circular island with central square fluted base with projections to east and west, that to west inscribed "LEVERHULME 1851-1925" with memorial inscription below. Obelisk clad in tall rectangular panels, supports female figure representing Inspiration, with hands and face raised. Bronze figure group to west; mother and child flanked by figures representing Industry and Education, with Art to rear, facing Lady Lever Art Gallery (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SJ3354084776

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
215612
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08564/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Patrick Norris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].