CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075532
Date first listed:
19-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075532 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:38:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Knowsley (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 43223 90923

Details

HUYTON-WITH-ROBY CHURCH ROAD SJ 49 SW (west side) Roby

5/4 Church of - St. Bartholomew

- II

Church. 1875. By Ewan Christian. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and banded slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, west tower, chancel, north and south vestries. Tower has weathered setback buttresses. Blocked west entrance with 3-light window with reticulated tracery above, also blocked. Clock faces to north and south. Paired 2-light louvred bell openings, ball flower cornice and broach spire with lucarnes and decorative band. Aisles have gableted kneelers and 2-light windows with reticulated tracery between weathered buttresses. Clerestory has paired windows with cusped Y-tracery between flat buttresses. Open timber porch to south. Chancel has round end; 5 traceried lancets between gabled buttresses. Flanking gabled vestries have 2 cusped lancets and trefoil to north and south; that to north has entrance with shouldered lintel, stack to angle, and C20 extension. Interior; Tall narrow nave has arcades on chamfered square piers and end corbels; waggon roof. Corbelled chancel arch and segmental-pointed arches to east ends of aisles with panelling infill. Chancel screen, 1928, has 2 Egyptian columns, entablature and cresting with rood and angels. Chancel has pulpit, panelling, altar and reredos incorporating 41 C16 Flemish relief panels of biblical scenes, saints and virtues. Similar stalls with relief panels and ends with kneeling figures in prayer. Octagonal stone font with 4 marble shafts and alabaster angels to angles. Good C19 glass, including south aisle west window, 1899, by C.E. Kempe.

Listing NGR: SJ4322390923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
215262
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].