TAYLOR AND CHALLEN LIMITED, DERWENT WORKS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075643
Date first listed:
08-Jul-1982
Statutory Address:
TAYLOR AND CHALLEN LIMITED, DERWENT WORKS, 32-42, CONSTITUTION HILL B19

Map

Ordnance survey map of TAYLOR AND CHALLEN LIMITED, DERWENT WORKS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075643 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 11:34:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
TAYLOR AND CHALLEN LIMITED, DERWENT WORKS, 32-42, CONSTITUTION HILL B19

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 06695 87658

Details

CONSTITUTION HILL 1. 5104 City Centre B19 Nos 32 to 42 (even) (Taylor and Challen Ltd, Derwent works) SP 0687 NE 25/2 II 2. Circa 1912 and 1920. A large and monumental former engineering works, built of red brick with gault brick dressings. Cut and pierced brick detail and stone dressings show Arts and Crafts influence. Giant arcaded ground floor with panelled stone imposts and stone voussoir keyed semi-circular arches. The 2 high set upper floors have pairs of window bays divided by brick piers and flanked by broader brick pilasters. Stone cornice and panelled brick parapet with pierced work. The south-west corner is treated as a tower with bevelled return and small stone mullioned windows, slight raised brick work decoration. The south elevation after the corner is similar to main front with rendered aprons to windows. To the right of the main front, and linking with the 1938 extension, is a 3 bay machine shop continuation of the giant ground floor arcade with a projecting stone cornice surmounted by deep parapet with gable over. The parapet is taken up by a large panel of ceramic tiles with the company's name in slightly scrolled Edwardian lettering.



Listing NGR: SP0667787680

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216997
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01229/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Geoff Dowling. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]org.uk.