EDGBASTON GOLF CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1075646

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Jul-1982

Statutory Address: EDGBASTON GOLF CLUB, 24, CHURCH ROAD B15

Map

Ordnance survey map of EDGBASTON GOLF CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075646 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 11:10:49.

Location

Statutory Address: EDGBASTON GOLF CLUB, 24, CHURCH ROAD B15

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 05689 84658

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. CHURCH ROAD 5104 Edgbaston B15 No 24 Edgbaston Golf Club (formerly listed as Edgbaston Hall) SP 0584 NE 49/10 25.4.52 II

2. The central block a rebuilding of 1717 by Sir Richard Gough of an earlier structure destroyed in 1688. Red brick; slate roof. Two and a half storeys, 5 bays with quoins. Ground floor with central closed porch with Tuscan columns and an elaborate brickwork top. The fenestration by sashes, those of the ground and lst floors tall and narrow, those of the attic storey square, and all with stone heads and keystones. Elaborate brickwork parapet. Two rainwater heads with the Gough arms. Inside, a contemporary staircase with twisted balusters and Corinthian columns as newal posts, good panelling and doors with their original brass furniture. At the rear, C19 additions, 2-storeyed and with a big canted bay window on the left-hand return, 3-storeyed on the right-hand return. To the right of the block, another 4-bayed 2-storeyed wing 2 bays deep and without quoins at the angles. At the rear of the house some fine C18 wrought-iron gates. William Withering died in the home in 1799.



Listing NGR: SP0568984658

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 216918

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing