This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MAIN BLOCK TO THE ROYAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MAIN BLOCK TO THE ROYAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1075733

Location

MAIN BLOCK TO THE ROYAL ORTHOPAEDIC HOSPITAL, BROAD STREET B1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Birmingham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Jul-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BROAD STREET 1. 5104 City Centre B1 Main block to the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital SP 08 NE 7/21 II 2. Built 1814 as Islington House for Rice Harris. Red brick and stucco; slate roof. Symmetrical building of 9 bays, the centre 3 of 2 1/2 storeys, the outer ones of 2 storeys and set back somewhat. The centre with central Tuscan porch with entablature with triglyph frieze and 2 sash windows each flanked by pilasters carrying a segmental arch. Broad band at first floor level. First floor with sash windows with cornices. Broad band at second floor level. Second floor with square casement windows within plain flat surrounds. Cornice and blocking course. The outer bays have, on the ground floor, windows with cornices and, on the first floor, windows with plain flat surrounds. All the windows of the outer bays altered to casements. The forecourt wall end railing built 'at the sole cost of 2 friends' apparently circa 1860.



Listing NGR: SP0591686408

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 05916 86408

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:20:39.

End of official listing