CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075857
Date first listed:
19-Jul-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, GREEN LANE, FORMBY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075857 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:14:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, GREEN LANE, FORMBY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Formby
National Grid Reference:
SD 29932 08271

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/08/2014

SD 20 NE 2/38

FORMBY GREEN LANE (east side) Church of St. Peter 19.7.66

GV II Church. 1746 with chancel of 1873 and later vestry. Brick with stone dressings, chancel of stone; slate roof. Nave, west tower, chancel, north vestry and south chapel. 3-bay nave has stone base with roll moulding, dentilled brick cornice and eaves; rusticated quoins and coped gables with ball finials. Round-headed windows have apron panels, moulded sills, angle pilasters with Doric entablatures and archivolts with keys. Fixed small-paned glazing with intersecting heads. South entrance has flat pilasters, entablature with pulvinated frieze and pediment with date, 1746; timber framed and half-glazed porch, 1884. West tower has porch with angle pilasters and Doric entablature, inserted plastered drum has west round-headed window and south entrance, drum possibly dates from 1830 when gallery inserted. Tower has quoins and cornice, west round window. Top octagonal bell stage has round-headed louvred bell openings on sill course and cupola with ball finial. West end of nave has round-headed windows with round windows above. Chancel has angle buttressed and 3-light east window with Geometrical tracery; elaborate gable cross. Chapel has diagonal buttresses and corbelled cornice, 3-light east and gableted 2-light south windows. Vestry similar, with stack and C20 extension in style of nave. Interior: roof of 1900 has elaborate timber kingpost trusses. West gallery on timber columns has entablature with dentilled cornice; original pews. Painted board recording enlargement of church in 1830 probably refers to gallery. Chancel has moulded arch, no capitals, and royal arms of 1710. 2-bay arcade to chapel. Stained glass east window. Chest dated 1740.

Listing NGR: SD2993208271

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216435
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01708/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Pollitt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].