This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LINACRE METHODIST MISSION

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LINACRE METHODIST MISSION

List entry Number: 1075876

Location

LINACRE METHODIST MISSION, LINACRE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sefton

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216481

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITHERLAND LINACRE ROAD SJ 39 NW (east side) 9/83 Linacre Methodist Mission G.V. II Chapel. Date in cartouche 1904. Red brick and yellow terracotta with slate roof. 2 storeys, 1st bay is canted under hipped roof, other 5 bays form symmetrical composition. Weathered base, sill courses, cornice over ground floor, 3-bay gable with flanking cornice and panelled parapet. End brick pilaster strips and terracotta pilaster strips flanking gabled centre; central bay flanked by octagonal terracotta turrets ending in panelling and open- sided cupolas. Top pediment with frieze inscribed: "LINACRE MISSION HALL", relief foliage in pediment, and dated cartouche. Ground floor paired segmental-headed windows with central colonnettes, those to 1st bay with transom. 1st floor windows have relief panelled aprons; central round-headed tripartite window with transom, angle pilasters and keyed archivolt, flanking tall round-headed windows and end round-headed windows with 2 round-headed lights and roundel; 1st bay has segmental-headed windows with C20 plate glass, other windows have art nouveau stained glass. Paired entrances have panelled pilasters, archivolts and relief spandrels; C20 hoods inserted. Left return plain. Right return of 6 bays, elliptical-headed window with gables, end 4 bays to childrens chapel with 2-bay pedimented centre; pediment dated 1908. Entrance hall has tiled dado. Main hall has 5-bay arcades with round arches and rich relief decoration over. Segmental-vaulted ceiling has similar plaster decoration. Tiled walls now clad with timber. Elliptical-arched recess has round-headed panel with mosaic- work text. The mission was founded in the late C19 and the present chapel replaces one built only a few years earlier, which was probably on the site of the children's chapel.

Listing NGR: SJ3389196778

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 33891 96778

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 02:19:21.

End of official listing