This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1075909

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, BROAD OAK ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: St. Helens

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 216359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 59 NW ST. HELENS BROAD OAK ROAD (north side)

4/69 Church of - Saint Peter

- II

Church. 1864-5. J. Medland Taylor. Rubble walls, a mixture of red and yellow sandstone and industrial waste, with red and yellow stone dressings; slate roof. Nave with aisles under cat-slide roof. South west tower and south transept; chancel with south vestry and north organ loft under cat- slide roof. Tower has angle buttresses, cusped lancets and paired bell openings. South entrance has pointed tympanum with quatrefoil and crossed keys. Spire has squat pyramids in angles and weather vane. West end has 2-light window with plate tracery. Aisle windows are varied, those to south are 3 lancets with roundel above, those to north are alternately 3 and 2 lancets, With roundels to those with 2 lancets. Transept of 2 gabled bays with triple lancets and rose windows above. Canted chancel has 3 windows of 2 lights with plate tracery. Chapel has segmental-pointed windows and east lancet. Lateral stack to south side of chancel. Interior has 6-bay arcades of round columns; chancel arch on round corbels. Nave roof has scissor-brace-collar trusses; aisles have tie beams. Transept has valley beam on brackets and collar rafter roofs. Font is circular on circular base, with inscription running round it and nail-head moulding. Similar pulpit has cusped pointed piercings. Timber chancel screen, c.1920. Wall memorial to Rev. A. A. Nunn (died 1889) in transept, in form of trefoil with quadrants in angles.

Listing NGR: SJ5355195480

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 53551 95480

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2018 at 01:59:26.

End of official listing