CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1075919
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1985
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY, BIRCHLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1075919 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 01:15:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY, BIRCHLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
St. Helens (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Billinge Chapel End
National Grid Reference:
SJ 52479 99591

Details

SJ 59 NW BILLINGE CHAPEL END BIRCHLEY ROAD (east side)

4/8 Church of Saint Mary and - Presbytery

- II

Catholic church and presbytery. Church of 1828, with mid C19 apse and presbytery. Stone with slate roof. 3-bay nave with impost band and cornice; pedimented west gable. Round- headed windows have keystones and leaded glazing, and rectangular panels above. West end has windows flanking entrance which has porch with paired unfluted Doric columns, frieze and cornice. Gable has projecting panel with entwined initials. Rectangular apse has paired round-headed lancets and adjoins the presbytery, of 2 storeys and 3 bays. 3rd bay has gable and ground-floor canted bay window with hipped roof. Central entrance has shallow gabled porch. Interior: Segmental vaulted ceiling. Small west gallery above internal porch with etched glazing. Round chancel arch on paired columns with scrolly capitals. Canted apse with large paintings, niche to right, altar to left. Font of 1877, alabaster on coloured marble shafts; panels of evangelist's symbols.

Listing NGR: SJ5247999591

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
216298
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06025/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].