This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1076382

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, BATH ROAD
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ST MICHAEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Walsall

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 219039

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WALSALL MB BATH ROAD SP 09 NW 7/4 Church of St Michael and All Angels - II

Church. 1870/71, by J R Veall, restored after fire in 1964. Red sand- stone with some Bath stone dressings and tile roof. Early English style. Comprises a nave,with a west porch and vestry added in 1896, north aisle completed in 1878 and south aisle in 1880. On the north side is a gabled vestry and a chapel, both added in the 1920s. The west porch is of two storeys and two bays, and has a moulded pointed north doorway. The aisles are of five bays, separated by buttresses and with plate tracery. The windows are each of two lancet lights. The clerestory windows are paired lancets. Each of the three sides of the apse has a window of a single- multi-foiled light. Interior: nave arcade of five bays with pointed sand- stone arches which have edge mouldings. Round columns have foliated capitals. The clerestory windows each have a central inner banded shaft with foliated capital. The ribbed wagon roof replaces the original one destroyed in 1964. The windows of the apse are flanked by narrow shafts. The font and pulpit are of sandstone, the latter with elaborate Gothic arcading. (BoE, p 293).

Listing NGR: SP0143697720

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 293

National Grid Reference: SP 01436 97720

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076382 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 11:16:09.

End of official listing