OLD TOLL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1076441

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: OLD TOLL HOUSE, BRAUNSTON WHARF

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD TOLL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076441 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 21:31:05.

Location

Statutory Address: OLD TOLL HOUSE, BRAUNSTON WHARF

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Braunston

National Grid Reference: SP 53827 65865

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRAUNSTON BRAUNSTON WHARF SP56NW 4/71 Old Toll House

GV II

Pair of houses and former Canal Toll Office. Early/mid C19. Brick, hipped corrugated tile roof, brick stacks. 2 storeys and cellar; 3 bays. Doorways in left and right bays have moulded wood surrounds. 6-panel doors and moulded timber hoods on brackets. Central 6-pane sash window with painted brick lintel. Similar windows to first floor. Cellar entrance with concrete lintel on left side. Sash window in recessed brick arch above. 2-storey canted bay with sash windows on right side facing canal. Extension at rear, probably the former toll collection office. Brick, one stormy; 2 bays. Doorway with flat arched brick frame and plank door in left bay. Window with similar frame and old iron glaz'ing bars to right. Interior not inspected. The Grand Junction Canal was authorised by Act of Parliament in I793, The Braunston section was complete by 1796. In 1929 it was taken over by the Grand Union Canal Company and the name was changed. (A.H. Faulkner: The Grand Junction Canal, 1972).

Listing NGR: SP5382765865

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360958

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Faulkner, A H , The Grand Junction Canal, (1972)

End of official listing