GRAND UNION CANAL BRIDGES NUMBERS 93 AND 94

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1076446
Date first listed:
11-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
GRAND UNION CANAL BRIDGES NUMBERS 93 AND 94

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAND UNION CANAL BRIDGES NUMBERS 93 AND 94
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076446 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jul-2019 at 03:09:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
GRAND UNION CANAL BRIDGES NUMBERS 93 AND 94

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Braunston
National Grid Reference:
SP 53246 66017

Details

BRAUNSTON GRAND UNION CANAL SP56NW, SP5366 4/81, 18/81 Bridges Nos.93 and 94

GV II

Triple bridge. c.1830. Brick central bridge on triangular island at canal junction, links with cast iron bridges across canal on either side. The iron bridges have moulded elliptical arches and iron trellis parapets. The arches are stamped on both sides. "Horseley Ironworks" and have iron plaques with numbers 93 and 94. Brick flanking walls curving down to tow path on either side. The cast iron bridges are of similar design as a bridge at Braunston Wharf (q.v.). The Oxford Canal formerly joined the Grand Union Canal at Braunston Wharf. In 1829-84 it was shortened and straightened and the present junction formed. (H. Compton: The Oxford Canal, 1976, p.95).

Listing NGR: SP5324666017

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360964
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Compton, H J , The Oxford Canal, (1976), 95

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02629/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Airlie Hunter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].