CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1076490

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 04:08:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Whilton

National Grid Reference: SP 63634 64810

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHILTON MAIN STREET SP66SW (North side) 5/229 Church of St. Andrew 18/01/68 GV II Church. C13, upper storey of tower, aisles, porch and part of chancel rebuilt c.l769, church much restored, re-windowed and chancel rebuilt 1877 by E.F. Law, including new vestry and organ chamber. Coursed squared ironstone, tile roof, to east end and porch, otherwise copper. Chancel, vestry, organ chamber, nave, north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated style east window, and 2-light reticulated window to south, a vestry to north-west with 1-light window with cusped head, a group of 3 similar windows to north and vestry door with Caernarvon arched head, and organ chamber to south-west with similar windows. Nave has clerestory with similar coupled windows. North and south moulded eaves. North aisle has two 3-light Perpendicular style windows with straight heads to north. South aisle has similar window to south and south door with chamfered stone surround and segmental head. South porch has chamfered and hollow-chamfered doorway. 2-stage west tower has 2-light Decorated style west window in blocked window to south-east at clerestory level with chamfered stone surround, and bell openings with round arched heads and plain Y-tracery with string courses at sill level, above and at base of battlemented parapet. Interior: chancel has massive reredos and stained glass east window. Nave has 2-bay arcades with circular piers north and south and simple moulded capitals, double-chamfered arches and semi-circular responds. All roofs C19. Several C18 and C19 wall monuments including one in tower with Ionic pilasters framing round-headed arch with inscription to Richard Freeman d.1749, with carved apron and cartouche with arms above, and fluted and gadrooned urn finial. (Notes on Church compiled by Rev. K. Sear, former Rector (framed in vestry); Buildings of England: Northants, p.458; Kellys Directory for Northants, 1898).

Listing NGR: SP6363464810

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360874

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 458
'Kelly's Directory' in Bedfordshire Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire, (1898)

End of official listing