STEPS AND WALLS APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST LEODEGARIUS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1076501

Date first listed: 11-Mar-1987

Statutory Address: STEPS AND WALLS APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST LEODEGARIUS, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEPS AND WALLS APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST LEODEGARIUS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076501 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 21:29:53.

Location

Statutory Address: STEPS AND WALLS APPROXIMATELY 15 METRES SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST LEODEGARIUS, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Ashby St. Ledgers

National Grid Reference: SP 57325 68178

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHBY ST.LEDGERS MAIN STREET SP5768 (East side) 17/6 Steps and walls approx. 15m. S of Church of St. Leodegarius

GV II

Steps and retaining walls. 1939, by Sir Edwin Lutyens as part of an unexecuted scheme for a cloister. Steps are flanked by piers, ironstone ashlar with limestone coping. Flight of 4 steps within a platform and second flight of 6 steps. Flanking walls, coursed ironstone rubble with ironstone coping. Designs for the cloister show arcades of Tuscan columns with a pitched tile roof raised on a retaining wall to frame approach from Wimbourne altar tomb (q.v.) and cross (g.v.) to south porch of Church. (C. Hussey: Ashby St. Ledgers; Country Life, p.499).

Listing NGR: SP5732568178

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360900

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1951), 499
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

End of official listing