CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1076520
Date first listed:
18-Jan-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
27-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076520.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:46:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Weedon Bec
National Grid Reference:
SP 63336 59283

Details

WEEDON BEC CHURCH STREET SP6319 (North side) Lower Weedon 17/197 Church of St. Peter and St. 18/01/68 Paul (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter) GV II* Church. Late C12 tower, body of church rebuilt 1825, chancel of 1863 by E.F. Law. Church re-seated and organ chamber added 1878. Coursed squared ironstone, slate roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular style east window, diagonal offset buttresses, organ chamber to north with 2-light east window with Y-tracery and north door with pointed chamfered arch, a priest's door with chamfered pointed arch between 2-light Decorated style windows. Body of church, nave and aisles in one, has 3-light pointed arched windows throughout with simple iron tracery, diamond leading and hood moulds and north and south porches both with 1825 datestones; doorway of north porch blocked (it now serves as a vestry). Offset buttresses between bays, diagonal offset buttresses to angles. 3-stage west tower of limestone and ironstone rubble with ironstone quoins, has west door with 4-centred head, cut spandrels and hood moulds, a 3-light Perpendicular window directly above with hood mould. Middle stage has narrow one-light windows to west and south with rounded heads and relieving arches. Bell openings have round-arched heads and outer arches with shafts, imposts and hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with string course below and to middle and belfry stages. Interior: chancel arch of 1863 has many-moulded arch and shafts with richly carved flower and foliage capitals. Nave has 5-bay timber arcades with thin octagonal columns and Tudor arches with open spandrels; similar arches between aisle bays. Flat, cross-beamed roofs to aisles, coved plaster ceiling to nave with small central octagonal ribbed dome. Tower arch is low and pointed with imposts. A medieval carved column base supports a miniature copy of the Winchester Cathedral font from chapel of Ordnance Depot (Weedon Barracks q.v.). Painted Hanoverian Royal Arms over tower arch. Various minor C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northants, p.447-8).

Listing NGR: SP6333659283

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360844
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 447-448

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 2006
Reference: IOE01/15719/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur Hanley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].