This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DOVECOTE AT AMWELLBURY FARM 30 METRES NORTH OF AMWELLBURY FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DOVECOTE AT AMWELLBURY FARM 30 METRES NORTH OF AMWELLBURY FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1076687

Location

DOVECOTE AT AMWELLBURY FARM 30 METRES NORTH OF AMWELLBURY FARMHOUSE, WALNUT TREE WALK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Amwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355887

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3612 GREAT AMWELL WALNUT TREE WALK (north side)

11/3 Dovecote at Amwellbury Farm 30.7.82 30 metres north of Amwellbury Farmhouse

GV II

Dovecote. Circa 1700. An octagonal brick dovecote with steep old red tiled roof, with door on S. Red brick in irregular Flemish-bond with random black headers. Stucco strips to angles of walls and roof and round doorway. 13 " walls reddened and tuck pointed in C19. Wide plaster cove below moulded wooden eaves cornice. Steep octagonal tiled roof has bellcast eaves. Octagonal timber louvre with ledge and 3 holes on each face with diagonal diagonal lattice infill. Steep octagonal metal roof with angle rolls, and wrought iron wind vane on a ball. Projecting plastered plinth on N side where ground falls away. Rows of holes in interior for full height with remains of projecting timber supports for nestboxes. Walls plastered originally. Lath and plaster underceiling to roof and a single tie-beam with stopped chamfer and central hole in soffit for revolving ladder now gone. N E face has collapsed below cornice level. An historic brick dovecote associated with the manorial centre. Part of a picturesque group at Amwellbury. (RCHM (1911) 95: VCH (1912) 417: Pevsner (1977) 150).

Listing NGR: TL3642312963

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, A, The Victoria History of the County of Hertford, (1912), 417
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire, (1977), 150
Other
Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire, (1910)

National Grid Reference: TL 36423 12963

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076687 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 02:27:29.

End of official listing