CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1076784
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:43:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF HOLY CROSS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Caston
National Grid Reference:
TL 95938 97527

Details

TL 99 NE CASTON CHURCH LANE

4/2 Church of Holy Cross

16/7/58 I

Parish Church. c1300, mid C14 and early C15. Restored 1852-54. Flint with ashlar quoins and thatched roofs. West tower, nave and chancel. C14 tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses. Moulded ogee west door with hood mould on labels leading to integral porch. 3-light west window above string course of reticulation units within larger units. Clock face above. 2-light cusped belfry windows in third stage. Plain parapet. South nave with central flat buttress, 3 3-light early C15 panel traceried windows. Restored 2-light windows to west and east beside diagonal buttresses, the latter below remains of blocked rectangular rood loft window. Low coped parapet on kneelers. Chancel with 2 2-light trefoiled Y windows flanking arched Priest's door. Diagonal eastern buttresses. 3-light east window of intersecting ogee type of mid C14: trefoil cusps support lozenges below encircled cinquefoil vesica. Chancel north contains one 2-light Perpendicular window and a trefoil lancet. Angle buttress to nave. Rood loft stairs. 2 3-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches. Central buttress. Brick 2 storey north porch now vestry. Arched and moulded entrance. Diagonal buttresses. Square headed one-light windows to each floor. Interior Double wave moulded tower arch with polygonal capitals partly blocked with timber to form ringing gallery. Benches installed 1839. 4-centred tomb recess in north wall. Low doorway to parvis to west. Very fine scissor braced roof of early C14 with collars covered with early C15 chestnut panelling decorated with transverse and longitudinal ribs and foliate bosses. Remains of original paint. Battlemented wall plate. Early C17 pulpit panelled with deep top rail with lunette carving. Base of screen. 2 misericord stalls abut screen. Early Cl7 brass chandelier of ball and baluster turnings. 2 tiers of 9 branches rise from central shaft. Trefoil piscina in chancel.

Listing NGR: TL9593897527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220164
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/08988/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David R. Wickham. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].