CHURCH OF ST. JOHN EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1076798
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN EVANGELIST, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. JOHN EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076798.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:49:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. JOHN EVANGELIST, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Ovington
National Grid Reference:
TF 92544 02594

Details

OVINGTON CHURCH STREET TF 90 SW

1/56 Church of St. John Evangelist

16.7.58 II*

Parish Church. C12 remodelled c.1300 restored 1867. Rubblestone with ashlar quoins and white pantiles. West tower and continuous nave and chancel. Square tower with 2-light west window and belfry windows over flushwork panels with shields. Single lancet to ringing chamber at north. Staircase turret to south. Hipped slate roof. South door C12. Single order shafts with incised scalloped capitals and roll moulded arch with billet. Triangular stoup to right. Nave south windows varied : square headed 2-light with hood mould, Norman round headed, pointed lancet and 2-light Y tracery. Chancel with Y tracery: 2-light to south, 3-light to east, 2-light to north. North nave 2 2-light lozenge windows flank 3-light Perpendicular under 4-centred arch and C19 hood mould. One blocked lancet and blocked north door. Boxed eaves. Interior with low C14 tower arch with wave mouldings. Continuous moulded wall plates with billet, raised at sanctuary. Wall posts to principals on braces. Secondary rafters and single moulded butt purlins. Plastered arched ceiling. Low piscina in chancel. C14 octagonal font on shafted plinth with carved angels and encircled quatrefoils.

Listing NGR: TF9254402594

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
220093
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07736/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter C. Bewes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].