Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1076807

Date first listed: 21-Jul-1951



Ordnance survey map of COLLEGE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076807 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jan-2019 at 08:02:15.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Breckland (District Authority)

Parish: Thompson

National Grid Reference: TL 93232 96594


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



13/72 College Farmhouse.

21.7.51 II* College, now private house. Founded and built 1350, with later alterations and additions, by Sir Thomas and John de Shardelow. Flint, brick and stone construction and pantiled roofs. T plan, originally rectangular. Facade 1700. 2 storeys on brick plinth. Door right of centre with pilastered door- case under broken pediment. 2 sash windows with glazing bars to right 1804. 2 renewed casements to left and 5 first floor casements in openings made in 1700. Roof line raised. Remains of 2-light transomed dias window with cinque- foil cusping, now blocked. 3 renewed C19 casements close facade to left. Gabled roof with panelled off-centre ridge stack c.1700. Internal gable end stacks. Rebuilt south wall probably truncates original open hall. Rear with single cinquefoiled lancet to ground floor and top of opposing dias window above door of 1975. Roof with 2 attic lights. Cross wing probably late C17, remodelled late C18. French window and upper casement 1975. Remains of C17 mullioned window in centre. C19 sash right. East wall with tumbling in gable. Late C18 sash with glazing bars to first floor, 1975 copy below. Gabled roof. North front has gault brick porch with iron twist columns (not in situ) and pantiled roof. North gable wall rendered to first floor. Round headed lancet left, blocked trefoil lancet right, both 1350. Interior has fine late C16 dining room. Square panelled, sides divided by single Ionic pilasters below palmette console. Continuous fluted frieze. Fireplace with overmantel flanked by Ionic pilasters and containing arms of Futter impaling Bacon. Crossed ceiling beams with 3 orders of rolls. Minor beams with 2 rolls. Mid C16 doorway to drawing room of stone with 4-centred arch containing continuous double roll mouldings. Drawing room is original hall now altered. Dado and south wall panelling 1804. East room of cross wing contains 2 late C17 beams with ogee stops. Source: George Crabbe, Some Materials for a History of the Parish of Thompson in the County of Norfolk, Norwich 1892.

Listing NGR: TL9323296594


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 220109

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Crabb, G, Some Materials for a History of the Parish of Thompson in the County of Norfolk Norwich, (1892)

End of official listing