THE COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1076907
Date first listed:
21-Jul-1951
Statutory Address:
THE COLLEGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076907 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-May-2019 at 17:41:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE COLLEGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Norfolk
District:
Breckland (District Authority)
Parish:
Brettenham
National Grid Reference:
TL 92388 81217

Details

BRETTENHAM RUSHFORD TL 98 SW

8/4 The College 21.7.51 G.V. II*

Secular College, now residence. Founded and built 1342 by Edmund Gonville, restored c. 1850's by S.S. Teulon. Flint with stone quoins and dressings. L plan but originally quadrangular. 2 storeys and attic. North facade detailing all C19. Central 2 storey porch with cusped and moulded doorway. Ashlar upper storey with cusped windows and steep spired roof. External chimney to left originally served 2 storey hall, now rebuilt with C19 stack. No ground floor windows below string course. Mullioned and cusped first floor windows to left and elaborate 5-light cusped window to right through 1 1/2 storeys. The window is arched with stone dressings and blank quatrefoil frieze at sill. Broad reticulated transom above stylised tree in vertical panel. Tall eccentric gable above separates 2 C19 stacks. Courtyard wall of west range contains 4 C14 upper windows, one of 2 lights, the remainder single. 3 original arched openings to ground floor now blocked with windows. Rear of north range has arched doorway opposite entrance porch suggesting original through passage plan. Numerous mullioned C19 windows and large bay window to parlour. One gabled dormer in each range. Interior has remains of doors to service wing at west end of hall beyond passage. Parlour is lower portion of 2 storey open hall with tie beams relocated as ceiling beams, probably during alterations by Earl of Surrey in mid C16. Beams have double ogee mouldings dating from foundation. Some C17 panelling in rear room not in situ. Remains of several C16 roof rafters. The College is important in conjuction with collegiate church to north as one of few remaining examples. E.K. Bennet, Historical Memorials of the College of St. John the Evangelist, Rushworth or Rushford, CO. Norfolk, Norwich, 1887.



Listing NGR: TL9238881217

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
219839
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bennet, EK , Historical Memorials of the College of St John the Evangelist Rushworth or Rushford County Norfolk Norwich, (1887)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].