This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ARCHWAY FORMING ENTRANCE TO ST MARTIN'S CHURCHYARD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ARCHWAY FORMING ENTRANCE TO ST MARTIN'S CHURCHYARD

List entry Number: 1076970

Location

ARCHWAY FORMING ENTRANCE TO ST MARTIN'S CHURCHYARD, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: North Lincolnshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Owston Ferry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Mar-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 165198

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 8000-8100 OWSTON FERRY CHURCH STREET (south side)

21/134 Archway forming entrance to St Martin's churchyard 25.3.76

GV II

Archway. 1859 for Archdeacon Stonehouse of Owston Ferry, and his sister-in- law Frances Sanders. Limestone ashlar. Gothic style. Crenellated stepped tripartite gateway with central carriage arch flanked by lower pedestrian arches and short lower wing walls. East and west sides both have chamfered plinth, buttresses with offsets flanking pointed chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and head stops. East side, facing street, has worn dedication inscription in Gothic lettering over arches, and a pair of armorial relief tablets in spandrels to central arch: one shield with arms of Stonehouse impaling Sanders, the other a lozenge with arms of Frances Sanders. Ridge- coped crenellations throughout. Pedestrian entrances have ornate Gothic- style cast-iron gates with dog-bars, decorative panels and finials. William Stonehouse and Frances Sanders were both notable local benefactors: in 1840 Stonehouse provided the church porch (in similar style to the churchyard archway), and Frances Sanders, besides gifts to the church, provided the Market Place Lamp (qv) and the Almshouses in Bagsby Lane (qv). J Veale and P J Hills, Owston St Martin and West Butterwick, St Mary, A Guide and Short History, 1967, pp 2, 11.

Listing NGR: SE8062100302

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Veale, J, Hills, P J, Owston St Martin and West Butterwick St Mary A Guide and Short History, (1967), 2, 11

National Grid Reference: SE 80621 00302

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1076970 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 07:53:43.

End of official listing