CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1077136

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1979

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 01:30:34.

Location

Statutory Address: CHRIST CHURCH, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sandwell (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 99083 89469

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDWELL MB CHURCH SQUARE SO 9989 SW Old bury 17/60 Christ Church 29.lO.79 GV II

Church. 1840 - 41 by Johnson. Brick in English bond with sandstone dressings and slate roof. Comprises a nave, north-west tower, north and south aisles under pitched roofs, lower chancel, and a lean-to vestry against the east end of the south aisle. The tower has clasping buttresses to the lower stage. On the west side is a lancet window, on the north a pointed doorway, with a clock face above. The bell openings are in two stages, both set back slightly. Both have three narrow chamfered lancets, the lower ones with stone surrounds. The parapet has corner pinnacles. At the west end of the nave is a door with gabled stone surround and pointed chamfered doorway. It is flanked by lancet windows, with a third lancet above. The aisles are both of five bays separated by buttresses and with paired chamfered lancets. At the west end of the south aisle is a pointed doorway. Both aisles have east windows of paired chamfered lancets. The east chancel window has triple stepped lancets. Interior: walls and ceiling plastered. Five-bay arcade of moulded pointed arches springing from octagonal columns. Galleries on three sides. Flat ceiling with moulded transverse ribs and corbelled wall-posts; east end divided into square panels. Faded stencil decoration. Timber pulpit in a Gothic style. Clerestory windows with glass of c1840; east window in memory of William Chance, died 1856; one west window by Thomas William Camm of Smethwick, c1910.

Listing NGR: SO9908389469

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 219266

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing