THE BIG HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1077139

Date first listed: 18-Jan-1950

Statutory Address: THE BIG HOUSE, 44, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE BIG HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1077139 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:24:08.

Location

Statutory Address: THE BIG HOUSE, 44, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sandwell (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 98998 89711

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SANDWELL MB CHURCH STREET (west side) SO 9889 NE SO 9989 NW Oldbury 15/67 No 44 (The Big House) 16/67 18.1.50 GV II*

House, now offices. Early C18. Brick in Flemish bond with painted stone dressings and hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan. A symmetrical composition of three storeys and five bays with chamfered quoins. Windows are boxed sashes with glazing bars and stone lintels with keystones. Band above each storey, and moulded eaves cornice. Door of eight raised and fielded panels with panelled reveals. Timber doorcase of reeded engaged columns and swan-necked pediment, the latter closed at the top by an additional open triangular pediment. Within the pediment is painted: "AD 1705". At the rear some windows have elliptical brick arches. Interior: the principal ground floor rooms each have an exposed ceiling beam. The right hand front room has an inglenook fireplace with re-used timber bressummer and panelled jambs, now containing a cast iron hob grate with Adamesque decoration. The open-well stair has an open string, three turned balusters to each tread, and a ramped and wreathed handrail. The interior doors are mostly of raised and fielded panels. On the second floor are two panelled doors of c1700.

Listing NGR: SO9899889711

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 219276

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing